Girl Age 6 Killed By BBQ?

FUMES from a barbecue could have killed a six- year-old girl on a camping holiday.

Isabelle Harris and her family held a barbecue just hours before she started to have a fit and suffer problems breathing in her tent.

Police are waiting for the results of tests after a post-mortem failed to pin- point the cause of death. But they say the results could reveal she died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

A police source yesterday said: “The results may take a few weeks but carbon monoxide is one line of inquiry.

“We know the family had a barbecue on the afternoon before the girl died and people have died after breathing in the fumes before.

“We do not know how close to the tent the barbecue was.”

Parents Lee and Tracey Harris, aged 30 and 40, fought in vain to resuscitate Isabelle at Holmsley camp site, in Bransgore, New Forest, Hants.

Paramedics took her to Southampton General Hospital after being called to the scene at 12.11am on Friday but the youngster had a cardiac arrest on the way.

She was declared dead shortly after.

Isabelle’s parents, from Gosport, Hants, were arrested on suspicion of murder but released without charge the same day.

Police revealed they were no longer treating the death as murder but as a “tragic incident” and an investigation is ongoing. Last night Isabelle’s parents paid tribute to the “special” daughter they described as their “whole world”.

In a statement they said: “We are all absolutely devastated about what has happened. No words are strong enough to describe how we feel at the moment.

“Isabelle was our whole world and everything we have ever done was for her. She was a really special girl and this is a huge loss to everyone who knew her. We want to find out why this happened.”

Mr and Mrs Harris added: “We would like to thank the owners of the camp- site for their assistance and apologise to other campers on the site who were there to enjoy their bank holiday weekend.

“We would like to give special thanks to the first responders and paramedics who treated Isabelle at the camp site.

“The police investigation has concluded and a file will be passed to the coroner.

“Our thanks also go to Hampshire Constabulary.

“We thank them for the way they have treated us, being as open and honest as they can.

We also appreciate their ongoing support and have no issues with their actions.” Jo Bullock, from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Acci- dents, said: “Last summer there was a series of adult deaths relating to tents and barbecues.

“Some children were also taken to hospital suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We would advise people to ensure fossil fuel burning appliances are well ventilated.

“Fire is also a significant risk so barbecues should be used away from tents.”

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas which is very difficult to detect because it is colourless, odourless and tasteless.

It is created when fossil fuels, such as gas and coal used in barbecues, fail to combust fully due to a lack of oxygen.

If inhaled in sufficient quantities it can lead to dizziness, headaches, convulsions and ultimately death.

A fold-away barbecue and two collapsible camping chairs could be seen by the entrance to the Harris’s tent on Friday as police forensic teams moved in to investigate.

The large, blue, family tent, which sleeps up to six people, was also guarded by police officers.

4 Responses to Girl Age 6 Killed By BBQ?

  1. Great beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I have been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

  2. travel says:

    Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing on your rss feed and I am hoping you write once more very soon!

  3. technology says:

    Hey there, You have performed an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and for my part recommend to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this web site.